Part-time, remote with periodic site visits (Bowman Bay, Deception Pass State Park)
Hourly rate $23.00 - $26.00 per hour, 15-20 hours per week, 12 months/year
Fidalgo Nature School is seeking an Executive Director for our non-profit all-outdoor preschool program for children aged 3-6 at Bowman Bay, in Deception Pass State Park. Join us as we grow to serve our community!
Fidalgo Nature School aims to provide a high quality and well-rounded education, grounded in emergent play in the outdoors. Research shows that emergent play-based preschool prepares students for success in kindergarten and a life of learning. The outdoor classroom presents an engaging, dynamic environment for students to develop a sense of belonging in nature, explore themes of compassion, respect and stewardship, and learn through exploration and play.
We are committed to hiring and retaining staff with a diverse range of experiences and creating an equitable environment and community. Please note: We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, male-identifying educators, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIAA2+ community, non-binary applicants, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
Executive Director Responsibilities: Leadership and Management
- Actively engage with teaching staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, event committees, and State Park staff
- Ensure ongoing program oversight, including finance, administration, human resources, and training, and recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals
- Develop, maintain, and support Board of Directors and work collaboratively to meet programming and fundraising goals
- Hire, coach, and retain high quality staff members, to include recruitment, onboarding, retention, management, and compliance
- Ensure effective systems to evaluate the organization’s performance and progress
- Promote the organization by developing meaningful connections within the community
Fundraising and Communications
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to identify and pursue fundraising opportunities
- Refine all aspects of communications and marketing, from web presence to external relations
- Act as the community presence that publishes and communicates program goals and progress
- Bachelor’s degree
- Action-oriented, adaptable, and self-directed
- Experience in organizational management and/or non-profit programming
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Strong written/oral communication skills and demonstrated public speaking ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to problem solve and collaborate with diverse groups of people, practice good judgment, and demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusivity
- Demonstrated competence in financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
- Experience working with Tribal Nations
- Experience managing childcare or preschool programs
- Experience with nonprofit fundraising and grant writing
- Previous success in establishing relationships with funders, partner agencies, and volunteers
Before commencement of employment, successful applicant must submit to a Portable Background Check through the WA State DCYF MERIT system. Additionally, the applicant must submit a Deception State Park volunteer packet and a record of full COVID-19 immunization
- Commensurate with experience: $23.00 - $26.00 per hour
- Non-elective SIMPLE IRA contribution equal to 2% of wages
- Paid time off accrues at a rate of 1 hour for every 40 worked, starting with a balance of 8 hours (up to 40 hours rolls over year to year)
- Mid-year and year-end bonuses
- Career training possible for future growth in this position
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, references, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Fidalgo Nature School uses E-Verify and protects your right to work.
Fidalgo Nature School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.